Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Doorbells... 18VDC in to 8VAC out?

Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 08/11/2016 15:34, WeeBob wrote:
Hello.

I have an old wired doorbell that has an 18V DC power supply. The
actually transformer has been (I think) channelled into the wall, or
underfloor boards in the attic. i.e. hard to get to.

A new fancy doorbell requires connection to a 8V AC power supply.

Is there a simple way to do this? i.e. 18V DV in, 8V AC out?

Thanks.

There is no /simple/ way to convert. Best buy a transformer - it seems
that 8V AC is quite a common doorbell voltage. For something that's
connected to the mains and left unattended for years, I wouldn't fiddle
about.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Friedland-D.../dp/B00EPESM2U

Cheers

This.