Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Pathetic

On Tuesday, 8 November 2016 14:55:31 UTC, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Nov 2016 09:27:29 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

Cows are not nasty.

Depends upon the breed. I would not worry too much about Herefords or
Aberdeen Angus, unless they had young or there was a dog around. I would
avoid Limousin or Charolais at any time. British breeds are generally
much better acclimatised to human contact than continental breeds and
dairy cattle are usually safer than beef cattle. Nevertheless, cows can
and do kill people.

I always understood it was Dairy Cattle who could be the more lairy,
certainly our Devon Reds always seemed more gentler than the Freiseins
that came along later.
Where public footpaths cross fields it is the Bulls of dairy breeds
like Freisians, Holsteins and those sweet looking Jerseys and
Guernseys that are prohibited to be in them, Beef breeds though they
may be much larger are allowed if there are accompanying Cows, though
if the animal has a history of being aggresive it should not be and
could influence any action if someone was hurt.

A lot of attacks are because the cow sees a dog as a threat to its
young, its instinct. If a walker has a dog on a lead some
unfortunately try and protect their Pet . In reality if things have
got to that stage its best to let the dog go and hopefully the Cow
will follow the dog, the dog unless it's old and ill will stand a far
better chance of getting away than a Human most of whom won't be able
to outrun a cow.

G.Harman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqSb0dCzj0U