Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Pathetic

On 08/11/2016 10:00, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

[cows] killed 74 people in the UK since 2000

I've not seen a detailed explanation but I would suspect the majority of
injuries/deaths is due to falling over while running away from a herd.
Cattle at the front can see and would normally swerve away. Cattle at
the back keep going and trample unintentionally.
Animals protecting calves is rather different.

Broken down by various factors, dogs and calves are significant, but the
biggest risk is being over 50

The trouble is that you don't know the population at risk. Most of the
ramblers and other walkers I know are in the 60+ age-group. I appreciate
that 20 year olds may be faster on their feet, but the real reason they
may not feature in the statistics is that they may be down at the pub,
rather than in the field with the cattle.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/aboutus/meetings/iacs/aiac/090615/aiac-paper-150601.pdf