Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Requiem for harry...

"T i m" wrote in message
On Mon, 07 Nov 2016 13:02:58 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

snip

In winter, off Land's End they have to cope with 'significant wave
heights'* of about 10 metres, and a good number of them will be much
higher than that, say up to 15 metres. That's about 45 feet in old
money, peak to trough, cycling say five to ten times per minute. That
puts one hell of a stress on any device anchored out there and
designed to absorb that energy.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_wave_height

Sure, I'm not saying it's *easy* but people without the materials,
skills, experience and technology we have today seem to have managed
building massive structures that don't seem to have been blown /
washed away? shrug

So, we can build nuclear power stations but we can't anchor something
in the sea easily?

Corse we can, happens with buoys and even ****ing great floating oil rigs
all the time.