Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y
FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI FranK Turner-Smith G3VKI is offline

Default My ruined credit rating

"Spike" wrote in message
On 07/11/2016 08:36, charles wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
Don't forget Spike's (in)famous repair experience involving a variable
capacitor- reported by him.

Conversely, the 'percussive maintenance' reference is almost certainly
one of his 'inventions', which he so often reports at 'convenient'
times, and can be safely disregarded as bovine muck.

I've known about percussive maintenance since the 1960s and I don't think
I've ever met Spike.

My (in)famous repair experience involving a variable capacitor - reported
by me - involved neither percussive maintenance nor ebay. It was caused by
some unknown engineer's inability to leave a good design alone, and make
an 'improvement'.

I remember the days of 'motorcycle tightness'. The procedure was to tighten
the first bolt until it sheared, then tighten the rest to a quarter turn
less.