Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Requiem for harry...

On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 13:21:03 +0000, dennis@home
wrote:

On 07/11/2016 12:26, T i m wrote:

Is it now we have done most of the important / interesting stuff and
now we are left dabbling with these 'alternative energy' schemes that
in most cases seem doomed to fail? Is it that we can (generally) send
rovers to distant planets, build bridges that are miles high and long
or build very tall buildings on sand ... but we can't make something
float in the sea and not have it sink or get swept away?

You can have it:-

1:cheap
2:work
3:unsinkable

Choose any two halves from the above.

'Nowdays' you mean? ;-(

The thing is there does seem to be the money and the will to build
things (and properly) these days and especially when there is good
money to be made back and quickly.

Maybe that last bit is what is putting a big dampener on many of these
alternative energy projects ... little money to be made and especially
without subsidies?

I'm ok with subsidies for any project that is fundamentally
(technically and ecologically) sound but that's not what it seems we
have with most of such alternative energy projects so far. ;-(

Cheers, T i m