Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Orangeburg Drain Pipe

On Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 6:35:30 PM UTC-5, Charles Bishop wrote:
In article ,
bob haller wrote:

```````````````

My bad line was first discovered perhaps 15 years ago. The line had roots in
all joints, 150 feet or so. They wanted 15 grand to replace the entire line
including under the house/

I had the line snaked, and at most a couple times a year, early spring before
the trees leaf out. dump a 25 pound bag of ROCK SALT in my basement wash tub,
add very hot water, And mix with a shovel

This kills the roots but leaves the big mature trees around my home un
harmed.

I mentioned something like this and was reminded that the salt solution
is on the bottom of the pipe and unlikely to kill roots coming in near
the top.

Any comments?

tree root killer can kill trees, it happended to a friend, cost him 2000
bucks to remove 2 trees

--
charles

well i can report i have a video tape of the roots entering the pipe at every joint. in the 20 years i have been doing this the only problem i had was the one time i got lazy and the line clogged. added salt water and line was open in hours.........

heres a idea just try it, iits not hazardous, and cheap too. just a few bucksfor 25 or 50 pounds.

my theory when you do this, i always use the hottest water possible.

i set the thermostat as hot as it will go.

the hot water with salt enters the line, as a steam cloud like hot shower, so it works on the entire linre........

its cheap enough to just try. most your out is a few bucks for the rock salt