Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Mark Bass amps

Gareth Magennis wrote:

Back in the day I had an unfortunate experience buying an HH S500D amp cheap
as it was "faulty".
http://medias.audiofanzine.com/image...0-d-970073.jpg

Plugged it into a friends 2 x 12 cab to have a listen, and both speaker
cones immediately vomited out of the cabinet.

Because of one shorted Zener on the op-amp supply.

** I remember the HH S500D - it used a driver module for the output stage which in the early versions was fully potted in black resin, fitted into a plastic tray.

Since the was no way to access the module without wrecking it, I was forced to buy a new one from the local HH agent even for the simplest fault.

The new one came as a normal PCB assembly fitted in a similar tray but with no potting. What on earth were HH thinking??

..... Phil