Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles Bishop[_2_] Charles Bishop[_2_] is offline

Default Orangeburg Drain Pipe

In article ,
"Jack G." wrote:

On Sunday, November 6, 2016 at 7:47:30 AM UTC-8, dpb wrote:
On 11/06/2016 7:51 AM, Charles Bishop wrote:
A friend of mine is having sewer pipe problems, with root intrusion and
blockage. The plumber has come out and cleared the blockage. He is now
telling her that a large section of drain pipe (50') should be replace
to prevent future problems.

This section is made of Orangeburg pipe, ...

So, Any thoughts on whether the Orangeburg pipe can be cleaned with a
power snake without damaging it beyond use?

If it's begun failing, a new line is in the future, sooner or later; how
much later is, of course, indeterminate before it just becomes totally
unserviceable.

Would basically agree with previous poster altho I suspect that snaking
it will likely shorten the above time but again by how much is unknowable.

Unless it is extremely deep and/or the soil is very difficult, 50-ft
could be hand-trenched and replaced for considerably less than $17,000
unless it's under a patio slab and/or other obstructions.

Too little information to make a complete assessment, but I'd also wager
there are far less expensive solutions but if it's operational again at
the moment, I'd suggest the best alternative for the present is do
nothing but starting looking at the replacement options.

I have had the same problem for the past five years and after the
plumber cleared the roots I started using root killer every Spring
and Fall with no problems but I know when I sell my house the pipes
will have to be replaced.

Do the pipes have to be replaced because you used root killer, or
because they are old and damaged?

Or, why will the pipes need to be replaced?

--
charles