Posted to alt.home.repair
gandlny gandlny is offline

Default american standard actuator/flapper problem

replying to tnom, gandlny wrote:
My 2 cylinder (rocking boat) also failed to fall back down to seat after the
water drained our of the vertical cylinder through the small hole in the
bottom. So I took it off the pivot pins expecting to find some dirt hindering
the hinge, but found the real culprit. When the chain is pulled, the actuator
pivot back to vertical and rests on a small plastic tab just below the pivot
pins. The plastic tab is molded into the drain/pivot assembly installed at
the bottom of the tank and is about the size of 1/2 dime. This tab had broken
off. I was lucky to find it in the bottom of the tank. So I epoxied a dime
sized washer in place of the tab and snapped the actuator pivot back into
place. I hope it holds for a few years.

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...em-197950-.htm