Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Repeated power outages - how to resolve root cause

Caecilius wrote

That's exactly the problem I'm seeing. UK power networks
have two categories of problem: emergencies and faults, but
they don't seem to have a third category for ongoing issues.

They do actually, its just not visible to the end user.

My problem is not an emergency, and when an actual fault
develops it's fixed within a few hours. What I want is a lower-priority
investigation into what's causing the repeated faults, but there
doesn't seem to be a category for this sort of thing.

Of course that happens.

Of course it could be that the infrastructure has become overloaded,
and it will cost a large amount to upgrade it, so it's cheaper to keep
resetting the substation breaker every few weeks.

Not cheaper so much as much harder to get that funded.

On Sat, 5 Nov 2016 10:29:00 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

That is what SHOULD happen, of course, but in common no doubt with many
organisations, there is no way of flagging repeat things unless they are
flagged to a higher authority. This sort of thing afflicts mobile phone
companies councils the nhs etc, all the time and the tricky part is to
get
it escalated to somebody who has the clout to shake the tree a bit harder.
Also, around here there was a similar problem near the centre of a busy
town, and the council kept refusing to allow the contractors to dig up the
road to get at the offending cable. One day there was an almighty bang and
hole appeared in the footway and one carriageway, which then meant it has
be fixed straight away. Sadly in the case in this thread, the fuse catches
it so this is unlikely to force the issue.
Brian