Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Repeated power outages - how to resolve root cause

That is what SHOULD happen, of course, but in common no doubt with many
organisations, there is no way of flagging repeat things unless they are
flagged to a higher authority. This sort of thing afflicts mobile phone
companies councils the nhs etc, all the time and the tricky part is to get
it escalated to somebody who has the clout to shake the tree a bit harder.
Also, around here there was a similar problem near the centre of a busy
town, and the council kept refusing to allow the contractors to dig up the
road to get at the offending cable. One day there was an almighty bang and a
hole appeared in the footway and one carriageway, which then meant it has to
be fixed straight away. Sadly in the case in this thread, the fuse catches
it so this is unlikely to force the issue.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Caecilius" wrote in message
My office has just had a power failure (one phase down, so lost power
on one floor). We had low voltage (around 208v according to the UPS)
from 15:00 and finally lost power at 19:30.

This is the third time it's happened the past couple of months. The
office is only open between 8.00 AM and 5.00 PM, and UK power networks
don't seem to want to take action unless there is someone at the
premises.

The last couple of times I've been told that the problem was "a fuse
at the substation" when it was finally resolved (which sounds like a
simplified answer to me). It always seems to occur in the evening,
but no one really cares until the following morning because the street
is mainly offices. Then in the morning all hell breaks loose as
people arrive and find the power out.

I'm generally the person who's reported it the night before as I have
remote monitoring. But UK power networks want to wait until multiple
people have reported it before it appears on their radar.

Has anyone got any thoughts on how to get to the bottom of this
problem? It seems we just go round the same loop each time, and the
underlying problem isn't getting fixed.

It seems like the person at the UK power networks helpline is trying
to be helpful, but is just following a script and doesn't have the
authority to do anything other than put notes on the call log.

Does anyone have any knowledge of how to get the root cause of these
sorts of problems addressed?

If they are any good you wont have to do anything, they will
realise that the fault keeps occurring in the substation and
fix what is causing it to take the fuse out there repeatedly.