Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default SMPS inductor clone

Gareth Magennis wrote:

OK, so I want to clone this inductor, L9.

http://elektrotanya.com/digipro_1000.../download.html

It is wound on a ETD29 former, I have counted the turns and the wire gauge.

What I don't know is the core material. There are several types available.

(The original has zero gap in the core)

** You sure it has no gap ???

L9 is a PFC choke and they use powdered iron cores or gapped ferrite.

Normally, the middle leg is ground short to create a gap of up to 1mm to allow DC current to pass without saturating the ferrite. Un-gapped ferrite cores are good for push pull, square wave transformers only.

You have the original core, so can measure its inductance and have a damn close look for the missing GAP.

Meanwhile, this link should supply some useful clues.

http://www.tme.eu/en/Document/d3a1e8...d_29_16_10.pdf

...... Phil