Posted to uk.d-i-y
Timothy Murphy[_2_] Timothy Murphy[_2_] is offline

Default So brexit must go to a vote in the commons, I wonder what the scotts

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

] In my view a referendum should require a reasonably large majority,
maybe 60:40, to take effect, certainly if it affects the constitution.
I would apply that equally to the Scots referendum, and Brexit.

Otherwise they threaten to tear countries apart.

Just because you lost. And are in denial over the fact you were lied to,
and believed it.,

It has nothing to do with my views on Brexit.
I think rule by referendum is inherently dangerous.
It is also contrary to the UK's historic tradition, which I value.
I share the views of Edmund Burke on these matters.

Incidentally, the US has a much more rigorous requirement
than the one I suggest.
Two thirds of both houses have to support an amendment
before it can be put to a vote,
and three quarters of the states then have to vote for it.

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net