Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default So brexit must go to a vote in the commons, I wonder what thescotts will vote?

On Thursday, 3 November 2016 17:39:55 UTC, charles wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 03/11/2016 14:22, NY wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
I wonder what the scots will vote?
Will it be a free vote?

I imagine the Scottish MPs will vote Remain. But could they influence
the result? Depends whether other MPs vote along party lines. If so, and
if the government's "official" line is Leave then the government has a
significant majority.

The problem starts if a high proportion of government (Conservative) MPs
vote Remain...

What would happen if the public at large have voted (by a narrow margin)
to Leave but a majority of MPs vote Remain? That would be an interesting
constitutional quandary - whose view should prevail: that of the MPs or
that of the public at large? I foresee a lot of discontent if the
public's views are superseded by the MPs' views.

More than there already is about brexit?
I doubt it somehow.

Maybe they should redraft the referendum so it is legal and do it again?

The Referendum was supposed to be "advisory".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

No it wasn't.
It said on the £9m leaflet that the government will implement whatever the outcome of the referendum is.