Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default So brexit must go to a vote in the commons, I wonder what thescotts will vote?

On 03/11/2016 14:01, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Bob Minchin
wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
On 03/11/2016 14:22, NY wrote:
"dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
I wonder what the scots will vote?
Will it be a free vote?

I imagine the Scottish MPs will vote Remain. But could they influence
the result? Depends whether other MPs vote along party lines. If so,
and
if the government's "official" line is Leave then the government has a
significant majority.

The problem starts if a high proportion of government (Conservative)
MPs
vote Remain...

What would happen if the public at large have voted (by a narrow
margin)
to Leave but a majority of MPs vote Remain? That would be an
interesting
constitutional quandary - whose view should prevail: that of the MPs or
that of the public at large? I foresee a lot of discontent if the
public's views are superseded by the MPs' views.

More than there already is about brexit?
I doubt it somehow.

Maybe they should redraft the referendum so it is legal and do it again?

Was it a case of the referendum not being drafted properly in order to
be legally binding or is it that the results of all referendums are
not legally binding but just serve to inform the guvmint of the views
of the people that take part?
Genuinely don't know on this one.

The manifesto this govt was elected on said there'd be a referendum,
and that the govt would implement the people's decision.

So no legal obligation then.