Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] Paintedcow@unlisted.moo is offline

Default Health Risks from PEX and other Plastic Pipes

On Wed, 02 Nov 2016 21:39:12 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 02 Nov 2016 15:50:03 -0500,
wrote:

Here are several of many web links that say PEX and other plastic pipes
are not healthy, impart a foul taste to water, and has other issues. At
the same time, it appears that the actual risks are not exactly known.
Either way, it appears that copper pipe is a much better choice, as far
as health, and water taste.

Fine until your water pinholes the copper pipe.

Having worked as a plumber for years, I installed more copper than
you've probably even seen. I never had any leaks. There was one rural
home that I worked on, which had copper leaching. I first noticed that
when I saw green staining in all the sinks. Cutting apart the pipes
showed how little of the pipes were left (after about 12 years). A
water test revealed a very high acidic water, and a lot of other problms
with the well, such as bacteria and nitrates. I told the homeowner about
the contaminated well, and that his pipes were being "eaten" by his
acidic water, and recommended a new well, and completely new pipes
afterwards. Then I just patched up what was leaking, and it was up to
him to do what was needed.

Copper dont develop pinholes unless the water is extremely acidic, there
was a flaw in the pipe, the pipes freeze, or a nearby lightning strike
surges thru a copper water pipe system. Yea, I did run across a place
where lightning wiped out a guys electrical system, and blew a pin hole
right thru a copper elbow, where it was within an inch from an
electrical conduit. The lightning needed to go to ground, and it did.
That couduit had a burn mark on it too.