Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Load capacity of 200-amp panel

On Wed, 02 Nov 2016 19:06:38 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 02 Nov 2016 16:05:10 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 20:00:11 -0400,
wrote:

In other words, if you balance the load and use only 120 volt
loads, you can run a maximum of 400 amps.
If you run only 240 volt loads, you can only run 200 amps

And oftentimes the pole transformer is not capable of 48KVA.
Most of them have their KVA rating painted right on the exterior of
them.
(You may need binoculars to read it from the ground).

And dont forget that they often supply power to other homes and/or
buildings as well.

Transformers supplying multiple homes MAY not be capable of supplying
the full load of all the houses at once. Any single residence
transformer WILL be sized to handle the full load - at least in
Ontario.

I was unable to install a 200 amp sewrvice in my home because the
transformer feed/undeground cable was lot large enough. I was limitted
to 125 amps.

That is certainly not true in the US. They will feed 3 houses from a
50 KVA unit and assume it will handle spikes above the 50 KVA. My
house os one of 3 on a 37 KVA unit. The guys told me, they will
replace it with a 50 when we burn it up.
These houses have 200a panels but they are fed with 2ga 1350 alloy
aluminum overhead service conductors. Voltage drop has not been a
problem here for me. I still get 124 or so