Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Use 1" furnace filter instead of 5" ?

On Wednesday, November 2, 2016 at 4:30:47 PM UTC-4, AL wrote:
On 11/2/2016 12:44 PM, Allie wrote:

my unit must be freezing up from the
dirty filter causing water leaking in house.
Yes, drain outside is free.it has
to be that filter.

I live in a dusty climate and when using the standard cheap filters the
dust would go through them and collect on the cold wet coils (inside the
unit). Eventually the dust would wash down and clog the pan's drain exit
hole (still inside the unit) while the drain pipe itself appeared clear.
This resulted in the pan overflowing and leaking into the garage and
house. I solved the problem by using an allergenic filter. I get them at
Target for $12.95. (My filter is 20x30x1 and I generally get 3 months
which is what's recommended on the filter.)

That's what some people apparently don't realize. There are filter specs
on what particle size they will filter out. The 5" filters will remove
smaller particles from the air. The downside is that if you have dirty air,
they will need replacing sooner. Sure, you can replace them with a cheap
2" or even 1" filter, but then you won't get the same filtration.
It's up to everyone what they want, less frequent filter changes or
clean air. They just need to check the specs. I bet the cheap filters
don't even have specs. Those 1" fiberglass ones never trapped much of
anything, as far as I can tell.