Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dawn till dusk lantern Led bulbs.

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 November 2016 11:14:50 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
It's been extensively covered on here (when it was a DIY group)
that non dimmable mains LEDS can't be dimmed. And that only some
types of dimmers work with those that can be dimmed. So why try an
re-invent the wheel?

You're mostly quite right, but nondimmable mains LEDs definitely can
be dimmed. Switch in a series cap and Robert's related.

But that doesn't dim it as regards what most mean by a dimmer.
Variable from near zero to near full. And even worse for our Dave who
doesn't feel competent at component level.

I'm far more compendent than you at componet level, I would trplace a
triac with the same tyoe if it kept blowing as you appear to do every
time a bulb blows who in theier right mind would want to replace a triac
everytime a bulb blows ?

Are you sure about that? It seemed to be a surprise to you that an LED was
in fact a diode. Or was it that you don't know what a diode is?

It's what I disliked from the start of these energy saving bulbs. I
like to be able to adjust the light level for what I want. And never
have really found the costs of running lighting a deal breaker.

Depends what yuop mean by deal breaker, but most people use electric
lighting so the overall saving coupld be significant for a country.

I'll do that by switching off when not needed. If the 'country' wants to
save energy, it can make a start by not having lights on 24/7 in offices,
etc. And until I find 'low energy' types which suit my needs perfectly,
I'll stick to what suits me.

Now dimmable LEDs have arrived at a sensible price,

LEDs have always been dimmable since they first arrived but NOT made
dimmable when put in home lighting systems of 230V AC.

You seem to have done a remarkable about face. You now seem to want to be
specific about LED types.

I'm more inclined to
use them. Where I'm not too worried about light quality.

Me too hence my kitchen and I don't see a problem with the light quality
for the majority of applications in which they are used. But if you are
fussy then it seems art galleries a photo studios might be the place to
get advice.

No - I advise them.

--
*A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.