Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default clearing clogged sink drain

On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 17:24:32 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Nov 2016, Stormin' Norman wrote:

It is galvanized. To replace would require removing a/c ductwork. See:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/T-in-drain-pipe.jpg

The house is 1892. But that bathroom was added later. Possibly in the
1950s. The large horizontal cast iron pipe would be original, as there
originally were sinks for each bedroom in the pass through between them.

My money is on the pipe being rusted shut, but for your sake, I hope
not.

However, why not just call
a drain cleaning company. If the pipe isn't destroyed, around here
they will come out and clear your drain for $60.

That is useful advice. I had been thinking of calling the local plumber,
but the drain cleaning people are cheaper and could be even better for such
a job.

I own a power, rotary snake. It made more sense to buy one than to
keep on renting when I considered all of the different houses in the
extended family.

If the pipe is destroyed, you will have to bite the bullet and replace
it, preferably with PVC.

And I will have to dismantle the a/c ductwork.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.