meirman

Default Phone Wiring Question

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:29:42 GMT "CMF"
posted:

Hello all.

I am practicing what I preach from an Intelligent Home/Structured Wiring
perspective and upgrading the low voltage wiring in my house getting it
ready for a probable sale. New CAT5e for all phones, LAN, and RG6Q for the
cable, etc.

My question is, and I know I should know this, but if I knew everything I
wouldn't have to sell the house.

The old phone line is CAT2. I have one phone in particular in the bathroom
upstairs (no jokes) that I cannot get to the top cap or even remotely close
to replace the wiring. My initial plan is to just eliminate that jack, do a
sheetrock repair and be done with it.

No. no. What is so bad about CAT2 that it has to be expunged like
this? An outlet in the bathroom is an asset. I have one.

However, I can get to the original
wire from the attic, and could run a splice to it from the central phone
location. Question is, does the quality of this line bring the quality of
the entire installation down, or does the fact that it will be a single end

I don't think it hurts the installation, nor do I think the current
outlet hurts the rest of the house. Only when two phones are in use
at the same time on the same line, one in the bathroom, might the
quality come down.

run from the central location to the phone isolate the other lines from a
quality perspective? I really don't think there is anything wrong with the
line, and I will spice into it with new CAT5e as close to the jack as I can,
but there will still be some of the old wire in place.

Thoughts? I realize many of you will think this is overkill and a waste of
time and money, but I'm doing it anyway, so please leave those responses
off. Thanks in advance,

I don't object to your upgrading things, only to your degrading
things.

Meirman

If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.