Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Interrupted Turning

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Monday, October 31, 2016 at 8:24:00 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:
What is the "old knowledge" about interrupted turning. I've been doing
some
Google searches, and checking the videos on YouTube, but most results
seem
to indicate a need for new high tech special inserts. Or more accurately
be
aimed at selling such inserts and insert tools.

I don't have to do it often, so I don't mind if it takes a while or if I
have to push it a little bit, but I'd kinda like to know how to do it the
"most effectively" with teh tools I have.

I've got a Precision Mathews PM1440-LB 14 x 40 lathe that claims a 3HP
motor. So far this lathe does a pretty good job, but I'd like to shy
away
from maxing out the motor if possible. Feed per rev is pretty flexible,
and
its got spindle speeds from 70 upto 1255. Its more rigid than the
average
Chicom lathe, but its still a Chicom lathe so I'd also like to shy away
from
pounding on it to hard.

I've got a few 1/2" x 4" HSS Cobalt bits. I could sacrifice one to this
with no qualms.

How you would you do it if you were going to hand grind an HSS insert for
the job?

P.S. For why guys no tell me about vertical shears. That's an sweome
grind
for getting a smooth/er finish.

I don't have an answer for you, but it would probably help if you added
some details about the material to be cut and its size and shape as far as
it affects the "interruptedness" of the cut.

Well, I have two things on the shelf that get used from time to time.
Several long pieces of left over steel solid jack shaft opener shafts with a
key way full length.

Several pieces of hex 360 brass rod used for various custom parts.