Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Dawn till dusk lantern Led bulbs.

On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 05:26:31 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 1 November 2016 12:11:14 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Monday, 31 October 2016 17:12:03 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
But as regards wiring, dimmers, switches etc they can be
regarded as the
same.

Not when being replaced with LEDs that the whole point that

you've
missed yet again. When will you understand that LED dimmers
require trailing edge circuitry.

You've been Googling again.

Yep last year when I wanted my LEDs to dim.

BTW, have two mains LEDs here running off a 20 year old dimmer and
they dim perfectly.

Good for you but mine didn't and most don't they why the now sell
trailing edge dimmers.

Did the LEDs say they could be dimmed in the spec? On the packaging?

Yes dimmable LEDs 2 in a pack (DAIL) for £8 down from £12 that's why I
brought them and they work very well with my trailing edge dimmer,
unlike my previous dimmer which didn't dim them very well but made them
flicker.

Now what are your LEDs that work on your dimmer.

I've dimmed LEDs using a 555, but obviously not using 'mains' voltages'
but standard red LEDs that work at about 2.2V 20ma or so.
Using a 555 to change the pulse width .
I've done this with arduinos too which use PWM of at about 500Hz

Gawd! Never mind the "apples and oranges" comparison! This is more like
an apples and beef steak comparison! :-)

--
Johnny B Good