Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default clearing clogged sink drain

On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 12:20:24 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Nov 2016, Stormin' Norman wrote:

I would use a rotating, power, spring style snake. Used properly,
that should make it past the T.

I used this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/25-ft-d...ent-66262.html

Is there something different?

What kind of material is the pipe made from? If galvanized pipe, it
could be rusted closed, in that case, you will probably have to bite
the bullet and replace some piping.

Is it galvanized. To replace would require removing a/c ductwork. See:
http://donwiss.com/pictures/misc/T-in-drain-pipe.jpg

That looks like 2" pipe. Awfully wide to have a nearly 100% blockage.

I have seen 2" galvanized pipes rust up over time, especially if
people have been using chemical drain cleaners in them. As most new
homes have been using PVC drain pipes for 30 - 40 years, odds are your
pipes are older than that?

As for the snake, this is the type of tool to which I an referring:

http://thd.co/2eR5lJ8

They can be rented at a reasonable price. However, why not just call
a drain cleaning company. If the pipe isn't destroyed, around here
they will come out and clear your drain for $60.

If the pipe is destroyed, you will have to bite the bullet and replace
it, preferably with PVC.