Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Meanie[_6_] Meanie[_6_] is offline

Default How long do LED shop/ceiling lights really last at full outputanyway?

On 11/1/2016 10:11 AM, Algeria Horan wrote:
On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 00:14:43 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Believe it or not, the tests are designed to reflect real world usage.

Real world seems to *always* be less than advertised lifetime.
At least for me they seem to be.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if LED bulbs last 5 years.

What fails?
a. The electronics!
b. The bulbs.

I can assure you, we replaced incandescent floodlights back in 2010 with
LEDs in one of our buildings. These lights are on 8 to 10 hours a day,
if not longer and we've yet to replace any of them (over 50).

I understand your skepticism as a general consumer, but I've been
experiencing the products first hand. I've been dealing with LEDs for
many years and I agree, they do diminish in brightness after their
manufactured rating, the quality lamps last up to their claim if not
longer. Of course, we don't purchase the cheap ones you buy at Home Depot.