Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Meanie[_6_] Meanie[_6_] is offline

Default How long do LED shop/ceiling lights really last at full outputanyway?

On 11/1/2016 10:59 AM, Dan Espen wrote:
Algeria Horan writes:

Jeff is like I am. We prove what we say, and we provide references, and
photos and other reliable statistics. You'd need to do the same to hold
water with us.

See Appendix C as I stated in my other post.
Then tell me how your methods are so superior to those used by
the experts.

Anyway, fact is, I have a bulb, in my very hand, incandescent, that failed
in two days.
https://s15.postimg.org/92aoq3xej/bu...n_two_days.jpg

Notice the package says "1.4 year life".
https://s18.postimg.org/602tefda1/ge...burned_out.jpg

Do you honestly think that proves anything?

I have 3 CFLs in a lamp post since 2000.
Just this year, one of them gave up the ghost.
They are activated when it gets dark.
So, they're on at least 12 hours a day, every day.
Construct some statistics out of that.

That is the reason they last so long. What people don't realize is the
life of fluorescent, whether tubes or CFL, is shortened when they are
subject to constant on and off. They are not made for constant on/off
action unless the fixture contains a "program start" ballast. Due to the
cost of that ballast, they will not be within the common hardware store
fixture. When fluorescent lamps remain on all day, chances are you can
see 10 years on them. The average home will not see that life cycle
since it's not common to leave them on all day everyday.