Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Cambridge A5 amp crowbarring?

Headscratching time. On first receipt tried the amp out as owner had
been using 1 channel only , after having blown the other by shorting it.
Both LV ac fuses ok but one SAP15 p-type blown.
Had to cross-over power Darlington terminals as mirror footprint from
the usual BCE orientation.
Cleared out and replaced with that fudge for the SAP and other blown
1/8W Rs and tried out at 50% mains.
Variac meter swung right over to the right and both LV fuses blew.
Replaced fuses and tried at 20% mains, half amp or so of mains draw.
Diconnect mains and main +ve and main -ve rail measure 0 ohm to ground
for 10 or 20 seconds and then goes high impedance.
Tried at 10% mains and sometimes +ve rail would be at zero ohms for 20
seconds or so and sometimes -ve rail like that, on repeating this game.
Cannot see anything in the way of a crowbar SCR anywhere or relay and
circuit looks much as the A500 that is out there , including overlay
numberings.
There is conductive brown glue to the main caps but that measured 2 meg
or so minimum, with close DVM probes.
All output devices and my fudge cross-compare DVM-D cold fashion, fine
still.
When I say 0 ohms I do mean that , well 0.1 ohm or less resistance.
Unless anyone has an idea what is going, the next will be to remove my
fudge and power up again.