Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default clearing clogged sink drain

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016 21:42:26 -0400, Don Wiss
wrote:

A bathroom sink drain is clogged almost 100%. I used a basic snake attached
to my drill. It goes down 5' and stops. I opened the hatch in the ceiling
of the closet below. There is a sideways T fitting that the snake doesn't
get past. The top of the T has a plug. The problem is there is now a/c
ducts blocking access to the T.

Is there some other kind of snake that will get around the 90 degree angle?
I have not poured a liquid plumber type product down the drain. It has been
a couple days. so I expect at this point the only water in the drain is in
the P-trap.

Now the P-trap does not have a plug at the bottom, but a section of it
could be removed.

A plunger doesn't work as the sink has overflow holes. I don't see how they
can be closed off enough to withstand the force of the plunge.

My next step is to call a plumber, but I thought I would ask you all first.

I would use a rotating, power, spring style snake. Used properly,
that should make it past the T.

What kind of material is the pipe made from? If galvanized pipe, it
could be rusted closed, in that case, you will probably have to bite
the bullet and replace some piping.