Countdown to 55

Default yellow jacks (wasps)

I have a room in the basement and found yellow jacks flying around.
Today I killed about 10 of them. They are attracted by the light bulb
which is when I see them. They only appear in the basement. I have
checked the perimeter of my house and cannot find any nests. I cannot
find any nest inside either and I cannot track them back to their
nests since I cannot follow them with the light off and with it on
they go to the light.

Does anyone have any idea how to find their nest or how they are
getting in?

Thanks.

Alan

I've had both yellow jackets and bumblebees nesting inside the house walls.
Both times they were getting in thru a small hole in the cedar siding very
close to the bottom of the house, so that when they did make it into the house,
it was into the basement.

I also have one section of the garage that has a little alcove with walls and I
just found out last week when I went to work on the cedar siding in that area
that bumblebees are in between those walls, getting in thru a small hole close
to the bottom of the siding.

The funny thing I've personally found with wasps and bees is to learn to look
*down,* not up, at where the nests might be if I think the nest in inside
something. I generally find that if they're going *inside* someplace, they're
going in down low. Once actually had a whole nest of wasps underground at my
dad's place in rural Wisconsin. He went over their entrance/exit hole in the
ground with the lawn mower and oh. my. gawd. They were not happy campers. And
neither was Dad. And they definitely had the advantage in that battle.

Cindy