John Galbreath Jr.

Default Chimney cap question

Top sealing dampers should only be used on open front fireplaces. Sounds
like you may have a gasket problem on the Lopi. Here is the manufacturer
information:

Lopi
Travis Industries, Inc.
10850 117th Place Northeast
Kirkland, WA 98033
Phone: (425)827-9505
Fax: (425)827-9363
Email:
Website:
www.lopistoves.com

--
John Galbreath Jr.
http://www.firelogs.com/

Irondale, Alabama
888.321.Logs

"Bob" wrote in message
newsQSTa.135032$N7.19701@sccrnsc03...

"Susan" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
I have received conflicting advice regarding chimney caps. I thought
installing a lock-top type chimney cap with a built-in damper could help

me
save some money on heating. My chimney sweep, however, advised me the
existing damper was working well and a sealing chimney cap would cause a
condensation at the top of the chimney when the hot air hit the cap,

leading
to water damage within the chimney. He also said the loss of heat

through
the chimney was negligible with a good fitting damper and what little

air
did get out was good for air circulation within the house. In other

words,
chimney cap that stopped the rain was all I needed (the draw is fine).

Anyone care to weigh in on this one?

I would just throw in a related question. I have a fireplace insert and
chimney liner. (A Lopi Revere) Occasionally, even in the middle of summer,
the air gets drawn down through the stove and smells up the room with
creosote smell. I've been thinking about the chimney cap damper to solve
this problem, since the air supply connections to the stove apparently
cannot be completely closed. Would this be the best solution.

Bob