John Galbreath Jr.

Default Chimney cap question

I would assume your chimney sweep is NOT certified. That is bad
information. Check him out on this industry site: http://www.CSIA.org.

The top sealing type damper has been tested to show it will save $100 per
year in utility bills over a throat damper that only seals about 90%. Look
here also:

http://www.lyemance.com/lyemance_fireplace_damper.asp

Here is a link to my commercial web site on this style damper:

http://www.FireLogs.com/Lyemance.htm
http://www.FireLogs.com/Literature-Lyemance.htm

--
John Galbreath Jr.
http://www.firelogs.com/

Irondale, Alabama
888.321.Logs

"Susan" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
I have received conflicting advice regarding chimney caps. I thought
installing a lock-top type chimney cap with a built-in damper could help

me
save some money on heating. My chimney sweep, however, advised me the
existing damper was working well and a sealing chimney cap would cause a
condensation at the top of the chimney when the hot air hit the cap,

leading
to water damage within the chimney. He also said the loss of heat through
the chimney was negligible with a good fitting damper and what little air
did get out was good for air circulation within the house. In other words,

chimney cap that stopped the rain was all I needed (the draw is fine).

Anyone care to weigh in on this one?

Thanks in advance

D. Charles