Ed Sirett

Default Good and bad spends?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 17:55:12 +0000, N. Thornton wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...

It's about as one finds. Making money out of property development is a
big gamble and a fine balance between being a paste over it cowboy, and
a proper stucturally aware builder.

You have to be autely aware of what adds a perceived premum value to
aproperty, and what is expensive, nice, but doesn't get a potential
purchaser reaching for the cheque book.

Lets make this another thread: just what are the good and bad things
to spend on, in terms of affecting sale price?

I will defer to the expertise of Estate Agents in this matter but I'd
reckon on it being the things that people don't want done whilst they live
there.

1) Installing GCH. (not improving it when it's already got it though).
2) Rewiring if the wiring is so bad that a lender would require it.
3) Anything that would stop a lender being happy regardless of weather
needed or not.

Also maybe
4) Removing a dated and/or cheap look to kitchen or bathrooms.
5) Adding a shower even if only an over bath unit. - It is now nearly
impossible to let a flat without a shower in the middling rental market
round here - so I guess the same applies to buying.
6) Replacing the electrical fittings with a consistent and modern style -
cheap but can make a big difference.
7) Nice light fittings.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk