The Natural Philosopher

Default Last nights Million Pound Property Experiment

Chris Oates wrote:

The money program on radio 4 said that yu can get away with it if its
reasonable.

Which it obviously wasn't as they conspired to defraud as soon as they

were

told that the stamp duty hike at 500k existed.
They told the viewers exactly what they were doing !

Its not illegal.
The stamp duty is on the land and the property. Not on 'demountable
objects' or indeed furniture. However the revenue takes a dim view of a
500 grand house with 300 grand of fitted carpets and curtain rails. But
will accept maybe 10k.

Whatever the finer points of it being legal what they did
was completely bogus.
The fittings are hired for the program so to sell them
they have to be bought - from the alleged profit

Its not teh fittings they were 'buying', its the fixtures. E.g. I could
sell my house as a house, and charge for the Aga, the boiler, the fitted
carpets, etc. etc.