Dave Plowman

Default Are room thermostats out of fashion?

In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
My neighbour has just had a new Baxi combi installed. They've put TRVs
on all the rads bar one and have ripped out the old room thermostat. Is
this normal?

Normal for a poorly designed installation, yes. And remember that heating
system electrics are beyond most plumbers.

I find being able to set that to 15 or so useful if you're
leaving the house unoccupied for a few days but maybe that's not how
it's done these days.

Most sensible installers would recommend a programmable thermostat which
allows different temperatures to be set automatically throughout the day
and days of the week. You can set them for different temperatures for
night, morning, when you're out at work, and evening. And have designated
'weekend' days where you're likely to be in and want the same temperature
all day.

The rad without the TRV (in the bathroom) you
could fry an egg on. Just as well there aren't any kids about. It looks
as though you can adjust the CH temperature on the boiler but it's
already below 50% on the scale.

So if the weather gets very cold you alter the thermostat on the boiler?
Very convenient, that. For the installer's profits, certainly.

--
*Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn