Art Begun

Default gap between sill and foundation - help!

Look under foundation repair and have it fixed before it is beyond
repair.

"Gary Smiley" wrote in message
I inherited a house from my parents which I had been renting to a

family
for the past 12 years. Recently they vacated and I did an

inspection. In
one corner of the house, the foundation has been sinking very slowly
(about 4-5 inches over 35 years). There is now a gap of about 4-6

inches
between the sill and the house. Unfortunately for me, I am

unemployed
and I have a tenant scheduled to move in on August 1, so I have

neither
the time nor the money to have the foundation re-engineered- but I

need
to fill the gap before they move in. The gap is around 25 feet long,
going around a corner. Should I fill it with cement? Should I shim

it
with two-by-fours and then patch it with cement? Is there a better
material or a better way? Could I do it myself? If not, what kind of
contractor could I call to do this work? Thanks in advance.