Tom Baker

Default What does an architect do?

chibiabos wrote in message ...
Hi.

We are preparing for a major remodel of our existing home, at least
doubling the size of a 900 sq ft house. We have the money, we have
rough drawings of floor plans, elevations, and firm but flexible ideas
of what we want to incorporate into the final structure.

We're ready to take all this to an architect and wonder what we can
expect for his fee.

For example, we're aware that he'll probably revise our rough plans
extensively to meet code, stud spacing, engineering loads, ergonomic
considerations and so on, and perhaps come up with a few neat ideas we
haven't thought of. And we're aware that he'll provide all the drawings
and materials lists needed for building permits and construction
estimates.

Is that normally the extent of an architect's services, or can we
expect him to apply for the permits for us? Contact (or recommend)
contractors? See the project through to completion?

Or is he done when he hands us the drawings?

-chib

Architects are flexible in defining their scope of services. Many, but
not all, will provide a brief consultation, complete services from
site selection through construction observation, or selected elements
between those extremes.

These issues come to mind: Zoning regulations; building code; design
restrictions by owners association, covenant, or city; Condition and
capaity of existing structure, mechanical, plumbing, and electrical
systems; existing condition of roof, windows, and walls; function;
appearance; drawings and calculations for building permits; problems
encountered in connecting to the existing building.

I always suggest finding a contractor with whom the owner is
comfortable and involving him in the process early. In spite of often
expressed concerns about over charging, I have not encountered
problems when the contractor is carefully selected. Particularly with
additions, I think experience, care, and quality work are worth paying
for. Here I quote a first rate contractor: "Long after the price is
forgotten, the quality remains."

An architect may well suggest contractors whose quality he knows. The
owner has a contract with the contractor and another with the
architect. The architect is the owner's representative.

The architect will as the owner's representative make presentations to
apply for zoning variances. The contractor and his sub contractors
will "pull" permits for their work.

If you want more background, you might find used copies of "How to
Build a House with an Architect" ISBN 0-397-01124-5, or "Designing
Your Client's House" ISBN 0-8230-7142-1.