MargieKay

Default Need to replace central A/C

Also, check out the post above by "FE" with the subject heading, "Upstairs
AC Unit Drip Pan Problem". "FE" has a leak coming through the ceiling and
it sure doesn't sound like he/she needs a whole new A/C system.

"Taroz" wrote in message
om...
Hello! I just learned that I will have the replace the central A/C in
my two-floor house. The unit is about 10-year old, and yesterday night
I noticed a fairly large stain in the ceiling of a bedroom. I checked
above it (where the internal "piece" of the A/C is) and there was
water underneath it. This "piece" (I don't know what exactly it is)
lies just next to the gas heating system.

I must say I don't know anything about A/C systems. I bought the house
one year ago, and I am Italian, and nobody (more or less) has central
A/C in Italian homes!

Today I called a contractor (which apparently has been in the business
for about 30 years), and he confirms there is a serious leak. He also
found one in the external unit, which is also a bit rusty. He checked
with a "weird" tool that started beeping like hell when a leak was
found. He thinks I should replace the whole thing (without being pushy
about it), and gave me a quote of $3800 including taxes, installation,
two years of free service, a 10-year labor and parts warrantee, and a
programmable digital thermostat. I think it's a 12 SEER, but didn't
ask the brand.
I am asking around, and I sort of understand that the cost sounds
reasonable, for this kind of job, but I would really appreciate any
advice on the matter. Should I ask for other quotes? I live in Durham
(North Carolina).
Thanks a lot for any information anyone can give me!
Have a great day,
Alessandro Tarozzi