Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default How long do LED shop/ceiling lights really last at full outputanyway?

On Mon, 31 Oct 2016, Algeria Horan wrote:

How long do LED shop/ceiling lights really last at full output anyway?

In another thread, the topic came up that LED lights may not last as long
nor as bright as claimed on the package:

Lights of America exaggerated LED light bulb performance
http://archive.jsonline.com/blogs/news/246355581.html
http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...ed-bulb-maker/

Put one in, and leave it on so it runs up the hours, and see when light
diminishes.

Most of us haven't had LED bulbs long enough to have any feel for their
lives.

I'd also point out that if you read the fine print on the LED bulb
packages, the number of years they last is based on a limited number of
hours every day. So they may try to make the figures look good, but the
actual hours may be okay, if somewhat low. I leave the ceiling light on
all day, that will diminish the numver of years the bulb lasts if I look
at the stated "number of years".

On the other hand, prices are dropping, I just got a "100W" LED for 7.99
rather than the regular 19.99, and the lower wattage LED bulbs are already
going to lower regular prices. And I'm using something like 19Watts (I
think actually less) compared to the 100W of an incandescent bulb, so
power usage is down.

Michael