Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
G. Ross G. Ross is offline

Default Wet shear scraping

graham wrote:
On 10/30/2016 4:53 PM, graham wrote:
I was turning a bowl this afternoon from a piece of fruit wood (in the
basement for 20 years and species unknown). I shear scraped the outside
and got an generally good finish but there were some areas of fine
tear-out that even light shear cuts would not remove. So I thoroughly
wetted the surface to make the fibres swell in those areas and then gave
a light shear-scrape while it was still wet. The waste was mostly in the
form of a slurry rather than shavings and the finish was superb over the
tricky areas.
Graham

I use a home-made shear scraper that I made about 20 years ago, shown below:

https://postimg.org/image/n9wr3xgu3/

The handle is not shown.

I bought a piece of 1/2" x 1/2" hot-rolled bar stock and cut a 45° facet
on the end. I drilled and tapped it for 10-32 machine screws, the type
used in Sorby/Stewart deep hollowing system that I've owned for 20
years. Note that the newer models might be metric.
I use the Sorby tear-drop scraper (RS200C or RS222) that, in this
instance, measures 1.25" along the straight edge.
I used the straight edge for the outside of the bowl and obviously the
curved part on the inside.
Sorby sells a shear scraper using round stock so that you can vary the
angle of shear. I prefer the support that the square section resting on
the tool rest gives me - it's one less thing to think about while taking
delicate cuts.
Graham

I can't bring the image up.

--