barry martin

Default Popcorn ceiling

Hi Gene!

GM I wanted to ask a quick question. When I took the popcorn ceiling covering
GM off of one the rooms on my second floor, I noticed basically that the
GM ceiling was the same drywall as the ceiling of the first floor.
GM
GM Is the popcorn ceiling a form of insulation for the second floor and that i

GM why they only placed it there and not the first floor?
GM
GM If so, is there a problem from me removing the ceiling (popcorn) and
GM painting over?

We had a popcorn ceiling in dining room here. Essentially it's just
a layer of drywall mud with sand added and sprayed on. I suppose the
added layer of mud would provide a miniscule degree of thermal
insulation -- R 0.001? g Also the rough ceiling surface would add a
degree of acoustic absorption. Draperies, carpeting and normal room
furnishings add more.

The popcorn ceiling was probably done only because it looked good.
Feel confident in removing it and making your own decorative
statement.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* "A great man is always willing to be little." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *