Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Same old, same old: Taxpayer will pick up cost of Hinkley C waste storage

On Monday, 31 October 2016 08:29:06 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 31/10/16 07:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
Hmm however, I do think we need to look at nuclear. The problems are not
insurmountable its just that nobody wants the non process radioactive waste
on their doorstep. It does show us though how little we know about the
geology of our planet that we cant say for certain that if you burry it
'here' for 10000 years it will be disturbed or cause issues.
Brian

1/. Nothing can be said for certain about the future. I cannot even
guarantee there will be a tomorrow.

2/. However, in the context of real science and technology, we can be a
damned sight more certain that nuclear waste can be safely disposed of
than we can that renewable energy is capable of running this country.

3/. The Pyramids are ~5,000 years old. For 5000 years old technology
they have done remarkably well at containing their contents.

4/. We know plenty about the geology. The problem is not with the
science or the technology, its with the lay persons inability to
understand even the basic principles of it. The whole crux of climate
change/Anti-nuclear/Lefty**** thinking depends on faux logic applied to
the philosophical problem of absolute certainty and the inductive nature
of science.

In short, science is a *model* that can never be proved to be *true*, it
is inductive logic, and depends for its validity on *never being proved
false*. The second string to the Anti-Science Lefty****'s bow, is the
'precautionary principle' which says that since we can't *guarantee*
things will be OK, we should not do things at all!

Armed with those two weapons anything can be opposed on seemingly
reasonable grounds.

Can you guarantee your offspring will not turn into something that makes
Hitler look like a pet poodle? No? Well then *you should not have
children at all*!

Only when you put it like that can you see how unbelievably disingenuous
and duplicitous is the position of the 'Eco Left'

There are two aspects about mishaps.
1. The likelyhood of it happening.
2. The consequences if it does.

You seem to have number one covered but not number two.