Edwin Pawlowski

Default Why is AC running in the morning when it's cooler outdoors?

"L. Borne" wrote in message
om...
I've had a few courses in Thermodynamics when I got my aerospace
engineering degree, and use thermo often. However, you don't need
more than common sense to know that if the entire volume of the house
is 78 and the outside air temp is 58, then something is heating the
inside of the house. There is no attic or other volume with high
enough temp to raise the inside of the house temp. Show some
calulations and explain your assumptions please.

I disagree. What about the thermal mass (latent heat) of the furnishings,
appliances, etc. They were at 78 when the temperature dropped to 58.
Between them is a layer of insulation. Fact is, the insulation works both
ways.

Heat your oven with a turkey cooking at 350 degrees. Turn off the oven.
Does it immediately reach equilibrium with the ambient temperature of the
kitchen?
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome