Greg O

Default Programmable thermostat question

"Norm Dion" wrote in message
I'm in the process of upgrading from a 40-year old single-stage gas

furnace
to a 2-stage model (80% efficiency).
I currently use a Hunter brand programmable thermostat on the existing
furnace.
One of the contractors placing a bid for the new 2-stage Amer Stnd/Trane
tells me that I'll need to replace the thermostat with one that is
compatible with a 2-stage system. Is he right, or simply blowing smoke up

my
butt?
TIA

To get full advantage of your two stage furnace, buy a two stage 'stat. Some
two stage furnaces will run with a single stage 'stat, but it will run more
efficiently with a proper two stage 'stat.
Greg