LuckyDucky

Default Why is AC running in the morning when it's cooler outdoors?

"L. Borne" wrote :

Am I the only one who thinks this is not normal, other than
LickyDucky? His house has no attic - just A/C rooms. The entire
house is cooled to 78 and it is 58 outside? Any heat they can create
should be going to the big heat sink outside. How does the house heat
back up to 79 to make the A/C kick back on? Where is the big heat
source? A fridge and couple of people can't create that much heat. Of
course, eventually those sources and all the other heat sources will
cause the A/C to kick back on sometime depending on insulation. But
it should not be very frequent. Is the A/C running long, or just a
little. Could it be off 90% of the night and is just coincidence it
is running when you wake?

The A/C kicks in every now and then. The entire system had its bi-yearly
maintenance done by a HVAC company a few weeks ago.

In my experience with A/C in South Louisiana and Florida, all houses
I've lived in, (all with non A/C attics), did not have the air running
when the thermostat was set at 78 and the outside temp was below 65 -
approximately.

As has been mentioned, check for a humidity control.

According to my meter, the indoor RH is about 33-35%.

If the A/C is coming on and off, then it is probably working.

The A/C is cycling on and off. Seems normal. The cooler it is outdoors,
the less it runs.

check, just take the temp of the air coming out of a register as
another poster suggested. It should be at least 15-20 F cooler than
the return air. Also, see if water is dripping from the coils? It is
usually routed outside or to a drain.

I haven't measured the temperature coming out of the register yet, but it
feels mighty cool.
Water is dripping out of the drain. When it's hot out, then there's a
gusher coming out of the drain pipe to the outdoors.

Another problem which is not common is the placement of the
thermostat. It could be near a heat source, or have a vent blowing
right on it, causing the A/C to shut down too early.

The thermostat is not near any heat sources (lights, appliances, fans etc.).
At night, nothing except for the refrigerator (which is about 15 feet away
from the thermostat) is left on that would generate any heat. Heck, we
don't even use the oven very much so that it won't heat up the house. In
addition, the TV and the computer is downstairs. We don't spend much time
upstairs.

I understand why some people believe that the heat could be "leaking" in
through the walls from the daytime heat but there have been those days when
it has been cool and cloudy.

Mind you, I'm not concerned, worried or upset about the A/C coming on from
time to time when it's 20 degrees cooler outdoors. I'm simply curious as to
why/how this is happening when there's no *apparent* heat source.