Tom Baker

Default adding a bedroom above the sunroom

(laurie a. grace) wrote in message om...
hi,
we live in a cape cod with the standard 2 bedrooms upstairs(there
is a bedroom downstairs) but would really like to add a third(master
type)bedroom upstairs, above the sunroom(10x30)....

1)is this even possible?

2)what is the 1st step in beginning this,who would i call, ect?

3)is it possible to only have the outer part done by the
professionals..(framing,flooring ,roof and windows)and then we do all
the,drywall,painting ect.

My husband generally does all the home fixing and maintinance
but as this is something he has never done b4,he would rather have
qualified people
doing it.

thank you in advance for any help

A number of issues present themselves:
Is the "sunroom" structure - including the foundation - strong enough
for the added load?
Can the existing rooms be arranged so one can get to the new room?
Can existing heating and electrical systems work with the added room?
Are there zoning or building codes that limit extra height or floor
area?

I'd suggest looking fro an architect willing to give you a
consultation and either a quick sketch or report. I'd suggest a
semiretired single practitioner, young fellow moon lighting or
starting business, or someone specializing in small residential work.

Tom Baker