Joseph Meehan

Default Car Battery Tips

But they also instruct you to take a fairly long drive after installing
it to charge the battery. I just charge it before I install.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
I have never charged a wet battery before installing it. In
fact I have never heard of anyone until now that charged the
battery first. Even dry batteries (the ones that came empty
and you added electrolyte after purchase), didn't have to be
charged before installing. In my opinion, if you buy a
battery, install it, and if it won't start your car, there
is something wrong with the battery.

One should always look for the date of manufacture on the
label and not purchase an old battery.

Joseph Meehan wrote:

You have five years on me, but I have never replaced a battery that

did not charge first.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message
You may be absolutely right, Joseph, but in 45+ years of owning cars

and
replacing batteries I have never bought one that was DOA.

Charlie

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
Most batteries do not come fully charged. They have some

charge,
but
it
may be very low. This does not hurt the battery to be stored in

this
state.
The problem comes up after they have been fully charged and then
discharged.
They need to be recharged quickly or they can be damaged. Your

WallyWorld
battery may have been just fine.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Charlie Bress" wrote in message

"Bill Darden" wrote in message
Top Ten Starting Battery Tips
corrosion.

7. Avoid a deep discharge of your battery. This could kill it.

A number of years ago I found my battery had finally died (had a

bad
cell)
and of course this was on a holiday.
Good ol' Walmart was open so I got up there and bought a

replacement.
When
got it installed this "new" battery was dead. It did charge up so

was
able
to use the car. The next day I bought another battery from a

different
store
and took the Walmart battery back telling them that it should

never
been
allowed to discharge completely. They did not understand what I

was
telling
them , but took it back anyway.

A comment card to the store manager never got a response.

Let that be a lesson.

Charlie