volts500

Default Grounding Rod Info

"'nuther Bob" wrote in message

I may have some issues with the depth. You hit hardpan in my yard at
6 to 8 feet deep. I don't think a copper rod will got through it,
no matter what. The stuff is like concrete, I couldn't get through
it with a steel truck bar.

Sorry, living on an overgrown sandbar, sometimes I forget how hard it is to
drive ground rods in some other parts of the country. The NEC permits a
ground rod to be driven at a 45 degree angle (no less), if that helps.

How deep does the ring have to be ? Does it really need to be a
circle ? Or could I run 20 feet along side the house in a ditch ?

2 feet deep, doesn't need to be a circle, but make it as long as you can
past the required 20 feet.....use a #2 copper.......keep the trench beyond
the roof drip line, where the soil will stay wet(er).