BigWallop

Default Recessing elecric socket - please help!

"Rebecca" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Due to a forthcoming baby arrival, whilst decorarting the
nursery-to-be we need to recess the existing sockets into the wall (to
save headbumps at the later crawling stage!) and I have been told by a
helpful handyman that this is something we can do, as opposed to
having to get an expensive electrician in. (He could do it but is
trying to save us money).

Not knowing much (understatement!) about this, can you please give me
your opinion as to whether this is correct and something Joe Bloggs
can do?

As I understand it, all we have to do is turn off the electicity
supply, and chisel out a hole in the wall for the box to fit into,
slot it in and hey presto. Is it really as easy as that?

Mind you, our walls appear to be made of 1930s steel lined bricks so
chiselling out a hole (or three) may be quite a task.

Can anyone give me any tips as to how to make this go smoothly and any
tools which may be helpful?

Your help would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Rebecca

You'll need some of these to fit the size of your existing socket fronts:

http://www.3kw.co.uk/flush.html

http://www.somtech.co.uk/cable_grommets.htm ( the open one's )

Then you'll need one each of these:

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/exec/toolup/ECLBB4RG.html

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/exec/toolup/ESTEB32LB.html

Then some each of these:

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/exec/toolup/KEE29002.html

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...s_1/index.html

And finally you'll need a lot of patience and time for marking out around
the new back boxes with a pencil and then using the bolster and hammer to
cut the hole into the wall to the depth you need.

If you make a diagram of the connections in the old boxes then make them the
same when you've sunk the new boxes.

A word of WARNING. Make sure you have enough of the existing cable to reach
the new positions of the sockets, and Make Sure You've Turned The Power
"OFF" to the circuit you're working on.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com