joe~V~3838

Default Central air advice needed

Hey Turtle, thanks for the nice reply......
well, luckily I haven't had to run the ac here in winston-salem,nc
but a couple times this year..., and it's almost august !
I guess I could call john's plumbing and ac up and talk to the manager
and see what they say....
I hope to be back at work in less than a year.
They don't want me back now since operation ...
I really don't know where to get r22, see alot of 134a though......
Already have gauges from long time ago...

Thanks again.....

joe

TURTLE wrote in message =
=20
"joe~V~3838" wrote in message
Hey everyone, well, I'm poor, had heart surgery, lost my job,, so I =

can't
afford to
hire a ac mechanic to come out and add freon to my central air unit =

right
now, since it'll cost about
$80 , at least that's what it did last time.
I had a guy come out about a year and several months ago and he said =

it had
a slow freon
leak and filled it up (at $8/lb ouch). He said just run it until =

something
breaks...
Anyways, I figured I'd like to check the freon level and add some if =

needed,
but don't know
what hose to put the freon in. There are 2 tubes with male adapters to =

them,
one is insulated with black insulation and the other is just a copper =

tube
,both coming from the ac unit into the house.
I have a hose that adds the freon and another hose that has a guage on =

it.
Does it matter what hose goes to what pipe?
and how many lbs should be in the system? is it different for each =

unit?
or basicly all the same.
The unit is a Trane and about 20 years old.... and the house has about =

1000
sq ft.of space.
I'd appreciate any advice or help, I did a search on google but can't =

find
any useful info on how to add freon to unit and what hose goes where, =

plus
the amount that should be in system.
=20
Thanks in advance......
=20
joe
=20
This is Turtle.
=20
If you can get some R22 mainly , gauges, and a few tools. E-mail me =

and we
will see.
=20
If not try this.
=20
call the fellow who gased it up last and tell him the story you told =

here
and be straight up and he just may work out a payment plan or a way to =

get
it. i will do this if a customer is straight forward and not wanting =

to spit
it out.
=20
TURTLE